Traffic Calming Guidelines

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

• A request for a Traffic Calming Analysis on a public street must be received from a bona fide Homeowners Association based on an action from a regular board meeting or general membership meeting. If a neighborhood desires to submit a request and does not have an active Homeowners Association, a petition signed by at least 10% of the entire neighborhood is required.

• If a Homeowners Association requests the installation of a traffic control device such as speed humps, the Traffic and Safety Committee will request an analysis by the City’s Traffic Engineer, determine the “impacted area”, and forward a recommendation to the City Council. When determining the impacted area, the Committee should err on creating a broader rather than a narrower definition in each case.

• Following the establishment of the impacted area, the City will mail a ballot survey to each residence within the defined area polling their interest in speed humps.

• If there is support from a simple majority (50% plus 1) of the residences in the impacted area, speed humps will be considered by the City Council pending the availability of funds for this purpose.

• If there is not support from at least a simple majority of the residences in the impacted area, speed humps will not be considered on a particular street.

• Only one (1) survey response is allowed for each address. Multiple responses from the same address will not be accepted.

• If the results of the ballot survey do not meet the criteria for approval, a second survey cannot be circulated for a period of one year.